We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
You can plant garlic twice a year - in autumn and spring, preference is given to winter crops rather than spring crops, but in either case, the beds are often overgrown with weeds. Garlic herbicide will help to deal with this problem in no time. Weed control agents are available from specialist gardening stores.
Mechanical methods of struggle
Before using chemicals to destroy weeds in the beds, you need to understand that the rhizome and bulbs of the plant are very sensitive to various chemicals. Therefore, if the situation is not critical, it is better to use mechanical methods of struggle first.
After germination, you need to weed the beds to a depth of 10-15 cm. The bulbs themselves are located in the topsoil at a depth of 5-7 cm, so the soil must be loosened carefully so as not to damage the bulbs. In subsequent times, when loosening, it is enough to touch only the top layer of the soil. Large weeds need to be pulled out by hands with roots.
If you leave the rhizome of the weed in the soil, then after a while it will appear on the garden bed again.
It is necessary to give preference to mechanical methods of struggle if the weeds have filled the garden with winter garlic. After winter, these plants are weakened and the use of harsh chemicals will damage the young bulbs.
An effective method of weed control on the site is observance of crop rotation. After harvesting, it is not recommended to plant a crop in the same place for two years. The best precursors for the crop are cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes or cucumbers.
Description of herbicides and their application on the site
Garlic herbicides come in two flavors. They differ in the spectrum of their effect on weeds.
Types of herbicides:
- Continuous impact on weeds. Destroy all plants in the treated area. Used on an industrial scale and before planting crops on the site.
- Selective exposure spectrum. They are mainly used on agricultural plots to control weeds in beds that interfere with the growth of cultivated plants.
The use of herbicides for the destruction of weeds is in most cases the same. The instruction is always indicated on the package with the substance. A small amount of substances are diluted in water and poured into a spray bottle. Then the resulting solution is sprayed with garlic beds.
The dosage of the herbicide and the amount of water in which it is diluted must be specified on the package. If you dilute more herbicides than is required, then there is a risk of ruining the garlic itself. Lack of substance will not rid the beds of weeds.
Characteristics of herbicides for garlic
There are a large number of preparations for quickly getting rid of weeds on the site. But it is worth noting that their use often has a negative effect on the body if used incorrectly.
Popular means for the destruction of weeds:
- Hurricane Forte (a herbicide produced by a Swiss company. The active substance, which is aimed at killing weeds, is glyphosate. The preparation contains an active surface agent. It is it that is responsible for the rapid distribution of glyphosate among weeds and their destruction. The most effective for weed control after harvest in autumn).
- Flusilad Forte (used to combat wild weeds on garlic beds. 1 liter of the preparation is needed per hectare of land. The beds need to be processed after the formation of two full-fledged leaves. Processing ends after the final formation of garlic bushes. The interval in spraying is 1 week. Fluusilad Forte is especially effective to remove wheatgrass. At temperatures above +27, the drug is ineffective. It is not recommended to spray garlic in dry weather. After spraying, garlic cloves are used for food not earlier than in a month).
- Stomp (this German herbicide contains pendimethalin. When growing winter garlic, it contributes to the destruction of weeds in the shortest possible time. For spraying, Stomp is diluted in water in a ratio of 330 g to 1 liter. The amount of drug used varies depending on the area of planting and weeds on them. for the destruction of annual weeds after the emergence of winter garlic. The beds are cultivated in spring and autumn after planting garlic. Before processing the garlic beds, the soil is watered abundantly. If the cloves are planted to a depth of less than 5 cm, Stomp is not recommended. This is due to the fact that from the soil it is hatched within 4 months. The bushes are sprayed in dry calm weather in the early morning or late evening).
- Goal (when the grass on a garlic bed fills the entire area, the herbicide Goal will help to cope with it. The active ingredient is oxyfluorfen, which helps to destroy annual weed thickets. Garlic beds are cultivated in spring when the shoots reach a height of 10 cm. The most effective for the destruction of grass , the height of which exceeds 7 cm. If the air temperature reaches +23 degrees, the use of the drug is prohibited. Spraying the bushes is allowed if the sunny weather lasts longer than 4 days. If the garlic bushes have been damaged by frost, the use of Goal is not recommended).
Remember to keep in mind the safety precautions before spraying the garlic beds. The first time after processing, you can not use garlic in food. Otherwise, you can get poisoned.