We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Many gardeners are faced with a problem such as a black leg in a tomato. The fact is that when growing such a crop, many diseases arise. The appearance of the black leg is one of the unpleasant surprises. The disease occurs suddenly and is accompanied by the fact that the stem falls and dies. This often occurs after the plant has been picked. But, with certain actions, you can get rid of this disease and, as a result, grow a healthy plant that will give a normal harvest. So, what control measures for black leg in tomato seedlings to use?
Causes of the black leg
If the stem falls, then you need to carefully examine the plant. If darkening is visible above the soil surface, this indicates the presence of this disease. It has the name black leg or, in the popular way, blackfoot. It often affects crops grown in greenhouses and other film covers.
A black leg in tomato seedlings occurs as a result of a plant infection with a fungal infection. She attacks the roots through which the infection of neighboring bushes occurs. In addition to tomatoes, cabbage and radishes often suffer from this disease.
Important: High humidity, insufficient lighting, low temperature and dense planting of a crop can provoke a disease in tomatoes. Therefore, the cultivation of a tomato must be approached very carefully.
The main task in the process of growing this crop is to provide normal lighting. To do this, it is recommended to make a foil shield, which is placed behind boxes or pots. Light rays will bounce off it and scatter. As a result, this will significantly increase the amount of light, without installing additional lighting fixtures.
What is better to do with a black leg in tomato seedlings
Before starting treatment, you need to know that a fungal infection often occurs on tomatoes that germinate in soil with a high level of acidity. Therefore, first of all, it is necessary to solve this particular problem. You can neutralize acidity by treating with limestone or wood ash. Also, chalk and dolomite flour are highly effective.
Important: If, as a result of the examination, there was a certain presence of a disease on the seedlings, then you need to immediately start treating it. This will prevent the spread of infection to other plants.
Many gardeners believe that the treatment of blackfoot is a thankless task, since then fertility decreases. Therefore, it is easier to eliminate a diseased seedling and plants that are adjacent to it.
But, nevertheless, if you still decide to fight with the black leg, then you should follow the following sequence:
- First of all, you need to disinfect the soil. To do this, pour the area with a solution of potassium permanganate.
- You also need to limit watering the bushes. This will reduce the risk of developing this condition. It is worth noting here that fungal infections do not develop in dry soil. Therefore, you need to water in moderation.
- Falling plants are covered with woody vines. Also for this, coal is used, which is pre-ground into powder.
- Disinfect the soil. For this, a formalin solution is often used. In this case, it is worth carefully loosen the soil.
The best option in the fight and prevention of the disease is the complete or partial replacement of the contaminated soil. This will prevent further spread of the infection to other plants.
It is best to prevent the onset of the disease than to treat it later. Preventive measures should start with seed preparation. It is better to give preference to varieties that are resistant to black leg.
The best option here is Lena tomato seedlings. Plants are unpretentious in care, give a good harvest and are resistant to this disease.
Before sowing seeds, they are treated with potassium permanganate. To do this, a bag with them is placed in the solution for half an hour. After that, they are thoroughly washed and dried. It is also necessary to disinfect the container in which the tomato seedlings will be planted. This is done using the same potassium permanganate.
If soil from the garden is used for planting seed, then it is pre-heated. To do this, it is placed in an old vessel and put in the oven for a short time. The procedure is carried out outside the living quarters, since when pierced, the soil emits an unpleasant odor. After that, it is spilled with potassium permanganate. For planting, the prepared soil can be used after several days.
Proper watering will help prevent the appearance of a black leg. Do not flood the bushes, as this will lead to the development of a fungal infection. It is also recommended to use warm water for watering.
Periodic loosening of the soil will also help in solving this issue, which will provide normal air access to the root system. To prevent the top layer from drying out, it is covered with a small amount of sand, which holds moisture well. All affected plants must be removed and disposed of immediately. Before disembarking, a "Barrier" is added to the hole.
Fighting the blackfoot in folk ways
To protect a plant from a black leg, you must follow some rules and use certain folk remedies:
- When irrigating, it is better to use a spray bottle and a watering can. This will prevent waterlogging of the soil, which is a common cause of disease.
- Periodically, tomato seedlings lend themselves to diving, which will ensure the normal development of the root system.
- It is also worth considering that an excess of nitrogen fertilizers causes significant harm to the plant and can cause it to fall.
- For fertilization, it is not recommended to use humus, as it contains a fungus. As a result, a black leg on seedlings is only a matter of time.
- If you water the seedlings with a solution of onion peels, this will prevent the occurrence of the disease.
If you follow these simple rules, you can protect plants from disease and ensure a high tomato yield.
What drugs should be used
If a black leg still appeared in tomato seedlings, then drugs that are highly effective are used to fight:
- Fundazol. An effective drug in the fight against disease. The only drawback is the toxicity of the drug. Therefore, it is not recommended to use it for the treatment of plants that are grown at home, especially if there are children or animals in it.
- Previkur. Less toxic. Therefore, it is used to process tomatoes, both in the garden and at home.
Important: If, before planting, the seeds are treated with Fitosporin or Fitolavin, this will reduce the risk of disease.
Now you know how to save tomato seedlings and how to prevent disease. Observing simple rules and recommendations, you can ensure a high yield of tomatoes, despite all the risks.